Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jade

So it has been a couple of weeks since I've blogged due to all of the activity at work and home.

At work, the current executive staff has all been let go and a new company strategy is being put together for us to follow. I've been given the task to help define the direction of the company. There are two major factions on what we should do which makes it very interesting.

On the home front my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 10 days before her 2nd birthday. At times I still think I'm going to wake up and and all of this would be just a bad dream. Unfortunately I don't think this is going to happen :-(.. Jade handles everything very well, even when I go into her room in the middle of the night and turn on the hall light she sticks out a finger for me to stick for the blood test. She does not exactly care for the shots but she is getting more used to it.

The diagnosis was very interesting because we caught it so early. I think that her blood sugar was out of control for about 3 to 4 days and noticed some of the signs. So being diabetic myself I decided to do a blood test on her and sure enough her blood glucose was over 600. My initial thought was this must be a mistake. I did it again in a different place (a toe this time) and sure enough it was over 600 again. We called the doctor immediately and decided to go to the hospital. We really did catch this early compared to most diabetics. She only had trace keyatones and was still generally happy. The hospital did not even believe this, they almost wanted to send us home. She did not fit the profile from a wellness standpoint nor from an age standpoint (Apparently most children who are diagnosed with Diabetes are either at birth or from the ages of 8-13).

It really sucks that she has this and we are having to adjust but we are up to getting her in as best control as we can. We have a doctor appointment on Thursday but the doctor is very pleased with the progress we have made without much help from the doctor.

So where to now??? We are hoping for a cure more than ever now. Our short term plan is to get her one of those insulin pods as soon as humanly possible to help with the shots and to keep our fingers crossed for a cure.

No comments: